Badger latrines

all your Mammal sightings and happenings
howard86

Badger latrines

Post by howard86 » March 31st, 2019, 2:31 pm

Hi all,

Probably a bit of a silly question, but over the last 3 years or so I've noticed little holes being dug in an area of the garden with a mix of runny and solids inside. I suspected a badger but there are no sett sized holes anywhere on the land. I purchased a couple of trail cameras and last night it showed a badger there doing its business.

I went for a walk further up the garden today through an area that 20yrs ago we planted a lot of trees. There was a second latrine in this area which was obviously being used too.
I've recorded a badger, presumably the same one as last night up there in the last couple of months too.

Neither area appears to have any holes nearby that would be badger sized though.

There is an active sett 2 fields over on farm land with a male and female and a latrine right near one of the entrances. I've recorded a second male getting into a fight with the first as well there.

So my query is, do badgers make random latrines as I was always lead to believe they made them close to their setts? These ones to an uneducated person like me in the way of the badger, look like they are made at random. But the fact at least one of them has been used for the last 3 years suggest is isn't. I'm just interested as if it does come from the sett nearby its a long way to go to the toilet. Or maybe they have areas set aside for it if they wander around at night.

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

makman
star member
star member

Re: Badger latrines

Post by makman » April 1st, 2019, 11:20 am

Hi Howard, and welcome to the forum :)

i'm not very knowledgeable on Badgers i'm afraid, but I've always understood that they like to keep the sets and surroundings scrupulously clean,
and that the latrines were well away from the actual set, both from a hygiene point of view and from not advertising their prescence to predators
from theit toilet activities,
it would be great if you could post some images of your Badgers in the garden, :)
they are an animal i see very little of myself, apart from the sad cases i see killed on the roads :(
and its quite regular to see them dead at the side of the road around my area, which proves they are out there, but i never see them,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

howard86

Post by howard86 » April 1st, 2019, 4:32 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The badgers in the sett a couple of fields over have a latrine really close to one of the entrances. From previous camera set ups at least 3-4 holes they use and one was blocked (now unblocked by me) by farmers who are pro hunt around here. I've sadly found other holes around their land long since blocked up with tree branches too.

Last night I set two cameras up, one at the second latrine and one by a hole half way up an old walkway here in the hope that perhaps it was a solitary one living there. It did turn up on both cameras but seems it doesn't live under the hole. So I guess it maybe is one from the sett - that's my next plan, to put a camera there and one here and see the time stamps if badgers appear on both. But I noted last time I recorded at the sett, the male (I presume) had scars/scrapes on its muzzle and this one doesn't appear to have any.

iI'll do a bit of reading and see what comes up about latrines, I'm sure I read someone they thought they tend to be 10m or so away usually and when they wake up they go to it.

Heres a photo from last night, he/she was very interested in the camera :D

DSCF0063.AVI_snapshot_00.12_[2019.04.01_12.49.46].jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Post by bizzy » April 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm

how lucky to get photos of a Badger, and even luckier to have them in your own garden too :D
sadly, I've never seen a live wild badger, but unfortunately, ive seen many dead ones on the roadside,
a sight which always saddens me to see :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links