trackers on your pc !

chat about anything and everything here
joboyd

trackers on your pc !

Post by joboyd » June 29th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Having suffered a few problems with my computer of late, a knowledgeable friend came round to sort out my pc problems for me, and while doing so he pointed out to me that lots of cookies were probably being stored on my pc without my knowledge or consent
and showed me a list of these flash cookies that were still stored on my pc after I had cleared all history and data from the browser, plus the fact that I had disabled all cookies in the browser too !
There were dozens of them in the list !

cookies.JPG

We have all got used to cookies on our computers by now,
but I was shown a disturbing fact about them many of us are not aware of,

while you can disable and/or delete cookies in your browser quite easily,
there is another type of cookie that has almost nothing to do with your browser, and so does not get deleted when you clear your browsers cookies !
These are called flash cookies, and are stored deep in the bowels of your hard disk !
And not only are they hidden from your view, they allegedly have the ability to regenerate any cookies you have deleted on subsequent visits. !

results.JPG

These new cookies are also much larger than the normal ones, and so can store much more data about your habits online,
and its not only your visits to the internet that collect these cookies either, any windows users who use the microsoft news or play the microsoft games also have loads of cookies placed on their pc unknowingly,
there are probably more cookies being used when we use any software programs on our computers too, that we are unaware of.

My friend installed a bit of software called ccleaner onto my pc for me, which now lets me delete all these previously undeleteable cookies from my pc,
plus a browser add on called ghostery, which blocks sites from tracking you on the web too,
but even with that installed, some trackers were getting through, as you can see from these screenshots of ccleaner in action, but a couple of clicks with ccleaner cleared them all from my pc,
the local papers website had an amazing 24 trackers !
While I’m pleased to report that Wildlifebytes scored a grand total of 0 :)

trackers 1.JPG
trackers 2.JPG

the only drawback is, that many of them reappear the next time you go online, despite blocking all cookies, so you have to delete them all over again, after each session on the internet, but it deprives the organisations who place them there the ability to keep gathering data of your activities,

and if all of that is not bad enough, your email probably has hidden cookies too !
Many companies and organisations use something called a tracking pixel,
this is a transparent image, measuring one pixel by one pixel, and once imbedded on a Web page or in an email, a tracking pixel connects to a GIF file stored on your Web server.
Which records all sorts of info on your online activity,
you can sort of block this by by turning off the remote content option in your email settings,
as, according to my knowledgeable friend, stops the image from appearing in your email when you read it, of course this prevents you from seeing any of the other images contained in your email too,

with all the talk of the GDP act a while ago, to make you aware of who was placing cookies on your computer, it seems this new type of cookie is still sneaking in under the radar without our explicit consent,

is it time we all stood up and demanded that these (or any other) cookies should only be stored on our machines with our full consent ,
and have the ability to block or unblock them whenever we wish to ?
Of course, you may not feel that having these cookies on your pc is of any importance to you,
but then again, you may feel its another unwanted incursion into your privacy

so what do you think ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Re: trackers on your pc !

Post by bizzy » July 4th, 2019, 10:25 am

given all the data protection acts and privacy concerns that have been bandied around, I think we should have the ability to block any information gathering from our use of the internet blocked as default,
but being as its a business related thing, you can bet the head honchos in business are busy lobbying parliament against any restrictions on their spying activity's as we speak,
plus all the furore over facebooks actions in the past has achieved absolutely nothing, they follow you around the net whether you are connected to facebook at the time or not ! I deleted my facebook account some while back now, and can honestly say that I don't miss it at all :D
so much for privacy :(

i'm going to be looking at adding both those programs Joboy has mentioned above, at least it curbs their spying somewhat :D

and also pleased to see our forum here has no trackers following us around too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale
Supreme member
Supreme member

Post by ashgale » July 4th, 2019, 2:42 pm

we should most definitely be able to block any form of tracking on our use of the web,
those privacy and data rules mean nothing while all this is taking place,
I'm sure most people don't realise just how much our habits online are being scrutinised in this way,
regarding the ccleaner and ghostery add on's. I've just set them up on my desktop and I was gobsmacked just how much stuff was being placed on my computer ! with both trackers and junk files running into the hundreds,
with just a few clicks I had cleared it all away, and save a few gigabytes of my storage space into the bargain :)
plus I've also turned off the bit about viewing images in my emails too, so that's more of 'em blocked :)
so thanks for enlightening us Joboyd :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

treehugger

Post by treehugger » July 4th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Double dutch to me really. Do most of my browsing on my local library PC, when you log off it supposedly clears everything.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

catmando
star member
star member

Post by catmando » July 4th, 2019, 9:40 pm

windows users are also targeted by Microsoft, who gather lots of information from your use of their product,
which normally. you cant turn off in windows itself, but there is a bit of software you can use that blocks all telemetary services from sending stuff to Microsoft !
its called spybot anti beacon, which seems to work ok for me, and is free too :D

its just something else you can use to keep a little of your privacy online :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mal71

Post by mal71 » July 5th, 2019, 12:06 pm

very interesting stuff !
talk about Big Brother is watching :shock:
I shall be having a look at all three of those programs very soon :D
the data collection was one of the reasons I don't bother with facebook now, so I was a bit surprised to read that we are under attack to such an extent as this from other sources :roll:
I would agree that we should have a choice on who can or can't track our movements like this.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Post by bizzy » July 7th, 2019, 3:36 pm

treehugger wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Double dutch to me really. Do most of my browsing on my local library PC, when you log off it supposedly clears everything.
apparently not, according to what Joboyd wrote !
the cookies and trackers are still there even after you log off apparently :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links