It's Christmas.

books on any wildlife you feel may be of interest
Moriati

It's Christmas.

Post by Moriati » December 12th, 2018, 12:34 am

Santa is so overloaded with work these days he's been forced to do extra shifts. Today was my delivery day:

First is a nice up-to-date butterfly field guide just in case any of the fritillaries drift through and test my knowledge of the subject.

Butterflies Book.jpg .
Second is a long overdue guide to fungi that will replace my current book published in 1960. I will of course still need help from the experts here, but maybe I will get the correct family now and then.
Fungi Book.jpg .
The final read is a serious reference work to keep me occupied if we have another scorching hot summer.
. Ichneumonid Wasps.jpg What are you all expecting this Yuletide?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale
Supreme member
Supreme member

Re: It's Christmas.

Post by ashgale » December 12th, 2018, 10:08 am

Lucky you :D
i recognize the name of the fungi books author, he was one of the fungi experts from the now defunct wild about Britain website,
and always very knowledgeable on fungi,i've not seen the book myself, but i would think its a good choice :D

i suppose all these new books will mean we wont be hearing much from you over the next week or so, as you will probably have your nose in a good book (or three) :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » December 12th, 2018, 6:47 pm

i have not seen that fungi book either :)
looks like an interesting one, i shall be on the look out for it and see what its like i think,
it would make a nice addition to my 2 book library on fungus :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » December 13th, 2018, 12:16 am

I've read the butterfly book and it will be usefull primarily for the photos of immature stages (Eggs, caterpillar, Pupa) and the distribution maps allowing me to study those that have a distribution range close to my locality. This will help me to provide larval food plants and suitable nectar resources.

The Mushroom book will be an invaluable asset allowing me to hopefully manage to ID more than at present. So far, the preface and introduction is as far as I have progressed, and from this it is focussed on the London area which is perfect for me. If any poster here still has any contact with Andy, maybe an invitation to pop in here now and then would not go amiss.

As for the Ichneumonid Wasps, this is a serious work and will not come into its own until the summer when suitable specimens are discovered.

Regarding my possible disapearance into the realms of book reading, "dream on". I only post when I have something to say, rather than flooding the boards with repeats and trivia. While I will take a few days away from the allotments over Christmas, they are my day retreat. The possible lack of items of interest discovered due to seasonal hibernation of the majority of subjects may prevent too many posts. However, the years contents of the camera shots has to be condensed, appraised, re-grouped into sub-albums etc. will no doubt turn up many photos that did not get posted due to lack of time during the summer months.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wood Wanderer

Post by Wood Wanderer » December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm

mary wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 6:47 pm
i have not seen that fungi book either :)
looks like an interesting one, i shall be on the look out for it and see what its like i think,
it would make a nice addition to my 2 book library on fungus :D
One of the (many) fungi books that I do not possess, although as Ashgale says Andy Overall is very knowledgeable, he often comments on the British Mycological Society Facebook page. I would be interested in what you think of his book Moriati ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links