two fung for id

found a fungi you need an id for, then post it here
Forum rules
the Fungi for ID Forum rules,
in the interests of user safety we have applied the following rules to this form,

Please do not post any ID requests for the edibility or for "recreational" usage, in this (or any other) board,
identification of any fungi should not be relied on from this forum (or any other for that matter) to be totally accurate, as it is very easy to mistake any fungi for another one, especially from just a photograph alone, which could prove fatal to yourself if you were to eat the said fungi,
any posts we think may contain such requests will be removed,
and we ask all members to report any such posts should they find them here on the forum.
joboyd

two fung for id

Post by joboyd » March 28th, 2019, 9:48 am

a couple of fungi for id please,
found a couple of days ago,

this one was growing on a rotten log, or possibly the soil at the base of the log, not sure which,
very brittle, in fact when i tried to pick it to get a photo of the gills, it broke up, dropping into the gap between the logs, but i think the gills were a dark colour, possibly with a purple tinge to them ?
fungus.JPG

this next one, a large colony on them on the stump of what i think was an ash tree that had broken off,
lots of them in tiers up the stump,
i thought they might be Turkey tails, but even to my untrained eye they look a little different somehow
fungus 5.JPG fungus 3.JPG fungus 4.JPG fungus 1.JPG fungus 2.JPG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

forager
star member
star member

Re: two fung for id

Post by forager » March 30th, 2019, 9:37 am

no 1 is probably onr of the spring fruiting Psathyrella species
the other one i'm not sure about, and while it does look like turkey tail at first glance, i dont think it is turkey tail
a bit of googling and the books are called for here i think :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale
Supreme member
Supreme member

Post by ashgale » March 30th, 2019, 9:07 pm

no 1 looks a little like one of the Paenolus group,
but the time of year and the possibility it was on wood makes me think along the same lines as Forager with Psathyrella species,

no2 has got me stumped, vaguely turkey tail in some respects, but its all wrong for turkey tail somehow ?
Trametes ochracea might be a possibility ? but the attachment doesn't seem right either,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fungio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by fungio » March 31st, 2019, 2:18 pm

I was thinking Psathyrella for the first one, with Psathyrella obtusata being a possibility,
as the cap seems striated towards the cap edge, and there seems to be very faint traces of white velar remains showing too ?

for the bracket, i can only think that might just be very young Inonotus radiatus, but thats just my best guess on it :oops:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links