Small Skipper vs Essex Skipper

Moriati

Small Skipper vs Essex Skipper

Post by Moriati » July 2nd, 2019, 3:05 am

These very small butterflies are absolute devils to identify and I usually record the sightings as Small skipper, but now I thought it time to make sure. The key identification feature is the tips of the clubbed antennae. My field guide states Small Skipper: "The undersides of the tips of the antennae vary from orange to dark brown". Essex Skipper: "The undersides of the tips of the antennae are always black".

Needless to say, getting good photos is not easy, and is taking time. I now believe that I have both present on my allotments living close together but so far, one haunt has produced what appears to be the Essex Skipper but with the photos too poor to print here. However, the picture below is fairly good and indicates as the Small Skipper.

What do you think?

Small Skipper confirm Gall.jpg

*Quotes taken from Pocket Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland, Second Edition by Richard Lewington.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Re: Small Skipper vs Essex Skipper

Post by Moriati » July 11th, 2019, 10:57 pm

As a follow-on from earlier, I now have what I believe to be the Essex Skipper. The undersides of thetips of the antennae are black to confirm the Essex skipper. Within the space of a single allotment, there are three different Skipper butterflies present.

Essex Skipper Conf Gall.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links