image posting

post any problems you may have in using this forum here
catmando
star member
star member

image posting

Post by catmando » February 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Is there any way we can place images inline horizontally instead of in a vertical manner ?
I’ve tried placing them in pairs side by side with a new line between each pair, but the end result is still 6 images one below the other,
I’ve seen images posted inline in this way on other forums, and it looks much neater i.m.o,
So it would be nice if we could have the same option here, :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

admin
site admin
site admin

Re: image posting

Post by admin » February 14th, 2019, 9:30 am

coincidently enough, we have been testing out this very feature over the last few days !
and while it does what its supposed to do, it conflicts with the portal module used on the forum
(this is the front page you see when first viewing the forum, before going to the index)
the only way we can implement this feature permanantly at the moment, is to remove the portal page from the forum altogether !

so instead of seeing this page
portal.JPG

you would see this page first
index.JPG

here are some examples of what the feature will look like once active on the forum,
(images are from a post by Sted, used for an example)

1/ this is what the existing format looks like. using 6 images
Capture 1.JPG

2/ 6 this is what the new feature will look like, using 6 images inline,
but causing an overflow onto a new line, even on large screens.
Capture 2.JPG

3/ this is what the new feature will look like when posting 3 images in a row, giving two rows of 3 images
Capture 3.JPG

4/ this is what the new feature will look like when posting 2 images in a row, giving three rows of 2 images
this is probably the best option to use ?

Capture 4.JPG

please not that things may look slightly different when viewed on mobile devices due to the size constraints on such devices,
especially those of a small screen size,

another thing to note is that the thumbnails will look smaller than the original format,
but when clicked on they will appear as the normal size,
and still use the lightbox so you can scroll through the images,

also please note that although this feature works ok on our test forum,
there is no way we can tell if any other conflicts arise with other modules we have on the forum
(the test forum does not have all the features of the full forum)
so there may be a chance that we have to revert back to the portal page version again,
but we will give it a try and see how it goes :)

as always, please let us know what you think of this feature :)

it is now live on the forum, so you can try it out and see if everything works as it should :)

p:s we have temporarily disabled the portal while testing out this feature,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Post by bizzy » February 14th, 2019, 10:01 am

i hadn't seen this post, aand when i just posted some pics of the peregrines, i was surprised to see the images all lined up :D
i think its a great addition to the forum, and i can live without having the Portal page anyhow, :)
and as i had the forum bookmarked as the main index, i never saw the portal much anyway :roll:

so well done to the team again for a great job :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mal71

Post by mal71 » February 14th, 2019, 6:33 pm

i'd missed this post too :oops:
and only after i'd posted some lichen images and saw them appear in a horizontal row, did i realise something had changed :)
a nice improvement i think, as for the portal page, i think its worth sacrificing it for this feature in my view :)
the images posted look nice and neat on the computer, and seem to take up much less space on the page,
that said, they still appear in a vertical format on my phone, but with the way the phone scrolls easily up or down, its no disadvantage to use like that,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » February 15th, 2019, 3:23 pm

i saw the post when i logged in just now, so i posted some images in the fungi forum, and got the nice even horizontal row of them :)
so its a thumbs up from me :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

makman
star member
star member

Post by makman » February 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm

its worth losing that portal page to have this feature i think :)
like others here, i had the site bookmarked to go straight to the index too, so i didnt see much of the portal page as a rule anyway,
it certainly tidies things up when viewed on the computer i must say :) and with less scrolling down the pages to boot :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links