How to attract birds with cats

discussions on all things bird related
Lizard10

How to attract birds with cats

Post by Lizard10 » May 12th, 2019, 3:39 pm

So in the corner in my garden is a container with water plants and dirt in it(aka a pond made out of a plastic box) a small bog garden and a log and some rocks and pieces of wood and a hedgehog house. I want to attract birds to this corner but i dont want to make a cat buffet. They are the neighbors cats and the neighbors are farmers and the cats are for mousing so i cant ask them to put bell colars on them and my mom feeds them so they hang around here a lot how do i attract birds without them being eaten?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

catmando
star member
star member

Re: How to attract birds with cats

Post by catmando » May 12th, 2019, 5:47 pm

hi Lizard10, and welcome to the forum :)

mmmm, difficult I would say !
you would have to site any feeders fairly high up and away from any fence/walls/trees etc but even then there is always a risk (quite high too)
that the cats are going to get at least one or two birds,

if your mum is feeding the cats, then they are going to keep retuning to your garden, and even if well fed, and will always stalk any of your bird visitors,

not much help I know, but cats and birds just dont mix in my view :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale
Supreme member
Supreme member

Post by ashgale » May 12th, 2019, 8:51 pm

we get several cats in the garden, and the birds are always in danger from them,
putting out food for the birds always attracts predators, not only cats but Sparrow hawks etc,
we lose quite a few birds to the hawk that hunts the garden, and a few to the local cats too,
a bit of a catch 22 situation, do you feed the birds or not ?
speaking for my situation, I think feeding the birds benefits the local bird population more than the losses to hawk or cat,
but its a decision only you can make for your own situation.

a neighbour always has one of those super powered water pistols close to hand, which he uses to deter the cats, they hate getting squirted, and soon hurtle over the fence and away :D
might be worth a try (don't let mum see you. if shes a cat fam :roll: )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » May 13th, 2019, 1:56 am

The only way I have found to protect the bird feeders is to build a cage, and even that is not fool proof. Here is my cage, although primarily built to stop the Jays, Magpies and Parakeets from stealing all the food, it does keep the cats at a distance. Not the prettiest of solutions but it works.

Bird feeding station.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jowhitwell

Post by jowhitwell » May 14th, 2019, 4:30 pm

we have been finding the occaisional dead bird in the garden, almost all of which are intact, and without seemingly any marks or injury on them at all.
we get neighbours cats in the garden on a regular basis, but I've never seen a cat catch a bird in the garden, so cant say if its down to cats or not,
I do know that the birds make themselves scarce whenever a cat appears, so natural instincts will help them survive upto a point, but the cats are probably going to get a few I suppose :(
I chase them off whenever I see one in the garden, but it doesn't deter them for long, and they soon return :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links