camera recommendation

any equipment like cameras or binoculars etc
makman
star member
star member

camera recommendation

Post by makman » March 12th, 2019, 4:07 pm

camera recommendation,
after damaging my old camera beyond economic repair, i'm looking for something to replace it with,
but instead of the normal bridge type, i was thinking of something like the Olympus TG-5
which should fit in my pocket, and avoid having it hung around the neck, which is how i damaged the original camera (see here )

its a bit pricier than i was hoping to pay, but it does seem to have all the requisites i'm looking for, especially the macro side for close ups,
has anyone used this one ? or have any other recommendations for a replacement camera that would fit the bill ?
i'm not to bothered about it having mega zoom Qualities, with close up ability being more important to me,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mal71

Re: camera recommendation

Post by mal71 » March 12th, 2019, 7:38 pm

i have one of the little Canon bridge camera, a sx30 myself, although its had lots of use, and rough handling at times, including being dropped a few times. without any apparent damage :shock:
but its a little to large to fit in even a capacious pocket i fear,
not had any dealings with the Olympus model you are looking at, but it does get some good write ups and reviews from the little i have seen,
and while it does seem a little pricey at the outset, its inline with others with the same capabilities it has to offer,
one of the photographic forums might be the place to look for some actual user feedback on it i would think ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Post by bizzy » March 14th, 2019, 10:13 am

oddly enough i looked at the TG-5 myself,
the only thing that put me off it was the fixed screen, as i prefer one that swivels/tilts myself,
not a big deal i know, but it makes life easier for those low down or awkward shots you take, (well, it does for me :roll: )
the rest of the specs sound quite good though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

treehugger

Post by treehugger » March 15th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Probly not what you want but I recently got a sony cybershot DSC HX60V, seems good. Havent had a proper go with it yet, seems ok.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » March 15th, 2019, 6:56 pm

i use a little Kodak one, (model no is c183)
but it fits nicely in my pocket and the images are quite good,
it has a fixed screen at the rear, and is only small in comparison to later (pricier) models,
but it does what i want it to :)
probably not quite upto the same specification as the Olympus one though :oops:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

forager

Post by forager » March 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

another advantage of the smaller, pocket sized cameras, is that you can also use one of those mini tripods (the bendy legged type) that also fit in the pocket, :)
which i find very useful for fungi shots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

makman
star member
star member

Post by makman » March 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

thanks for all your suggestions, i'm still pondering over which one to plump for,
the fixed screen v the tilting one is no problem, as i would be happy with either :)
the tip about those mini tripods is making me err on the smaller sized options now though :roll:

could have done with a camera with me today, as i found some interesting fungi out there today.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links