frogs in the pond !

if it lives in the water, this is the place for your topics about it
ashgale

frogs in the pond !

Post by ashgale » March 8th, 2018, 2:43 pm

the ice has finally melted from the pond, and there were a few frogs to be seen in the pond (if you crept up slowly and quietly that is :roll: ) its to be hoped they don't get round to spawning any time soon, as we are due for a few frosty nights over the next few nights !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy

Re: frogs in the pond !

Post by bizzy » March 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

i had a look in the local pond this morning, but no frogs visible in it yet,
but i'm sure they will be along soon :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » March 11th, 2018, 12:58 pm

lots more frogs have joined the party now :)
the pond was alive with them this morning, and lot of croaking going on, but trying to get a photo of them is proving a little hard, as they disappear below the surface as soon as i get anywhere near the pond,
i tried crouching behind a bush in an attempt to get a pic, but as soon as i poke the camera over the leaves then off they go :roll:
it might prove a little easier once they start the actual spawning, when they are concentrated on the task in hand, and maybe not notice me sneaking up on them :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Deb London

Post by Deb London » March 11th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Two frogs in my pond at the moment. They hang around the pond plants at the back of the picture. Based on past experience, they are probably both male. We usually have a number of males in the pond, and we have had no spawn for several years now. Nor have I spotted any female frogs for a couple of years.

Last year, I relocated the pond to bring it out into the open, away from trees. The pond was collecting a lot of debris where it was, and all oxygenating plants had died. I don't know if the females decided to go elsewhere, of if they had all died since introducing frogs to this urban garden more than 10 years ago.

Also last year, I reared some froglets from a small clump of spawn that I brought home. I wonder if any of the females will survive to spawn next year or the year after (I read they take 2-3 years to reach maturity). I wonder if any of the males here now will live to see another adult female.

The water is really quite clear, even though the pond is still becoming established. Certainly frog-worthy, in my opinion. The frogs will have a good chance, I think. Apart from the lack of surrounding habitat and high levels of predation that is!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vulpes

Post by Vulpes » March 11th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I have a small pond, it's only 35 gallons and earlier this year when I was clearing out the debris, a rather large frog came up on my small shovel. I gave me a disapproving look and hopped back in. It would be nice if I had some spawn this year.
A couple of years ago I added some spawn from a local pool and raised many tadpoles. I fed them boiled lettuce and dandelion leaves!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » March 11th, 2018, 6:58 pm

i shall have a look in the pond on one of my dog walking routes tomorrow, (more of a deep ditch than a pond,) but it does tend to keep some water in it, apart from the very dry summers we sometimes get, so any tadpoles get a chance to survive,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » March 12th, 2018, 10:33 am

lots of frogs now :) and just one small clump of spawn has been laid so far,
while we seem to get lots of frogs in the pond, (30/40) there is only usually 4/5 small clumps of spawn laid each year, so i'm wondering if most of ours are males too ?
frog 4.jpg
frog 5.jpg
frog 8.jpg
while most of the frogs are dark coloured, there was one very pale, almost yellow looking one among them this morning.
frog 1.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » March 12th, 2018, 3:39 pm

no frogs visible today in the pond/ditch :(
i think it was to wet even for the frogs :D both me and the dog were soaked through with all that rain :roll:
a hot bath for both of us after the walk was very nice :) and in the dogs case a definite must :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » March 13th, 2018, 8:09 pm

even more frogs have arrived in the pond now ! but they are still very camera shy :)
and only 3 small clumps of spawn have been laid, still plenty of time for more to be laid i would think though :)
heres some pics of the braver ones who didn't dive down as soon as i got near the pond :)
frog 7.jpg
frog 12.jpg
frog 15.jpg
frog 17.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » March 15th, 2018, 3:27 pm

now that spawning is well under way, the frogs are not diving down under the surface as quickly now, so i managed to get a few shots of them in larger numbers at last :)
there are now just 5 small batches of spawn, so given the number of frogs in the pond, (about 50/60 !) most of them must be males ? Crow
frog 3.jpg
frog 6.jpg
frog 7.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links