The Polytunnel. A mini nature reserve.

chat about anything and everything here
makman
star member
star member

Re: The Polytunnel. A mini nature reserve.

Post by makman » May 29th, 2018, 2:51 pm

there always seems to be something new to find, be it in a polytunnel, the woods or meadows, its all about getting out there in the first place and finding it :D
admittedly the polytunnel seems to help concentrate the insects into a much easier way of seeing them, as opposed to out in the wilds, but there will always be something out there that you perhaps wont find in a polytunnel :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » May 31st, 2018, 1:16 am

Another busy day at the office:

Eupeodes luniger.jpg Wasp-1.jpg Fly-1.jpg

There could have been more except that the camera battery was low of charge causing the camera to shut down.
If anyone can ID any of these it would be appreciated. Enjoy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » June 1st, 2018, 12:24 am

I mentioned in an earlier post that there were two jumping spiders living in the tunnel. Today, one was kind enough to get my attention by abseiling down and up from one of the solar light bulbs. They get a lot bigger than this one but it still looks like it wants a fight. Please note also the bad spelling mistake in the earlier post.
Marpissa muscosa.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

catmando
star member
star member

Post by catmando » June 1st, 2018, 10:21 am

we usually get lots of spiders festooning some dwarf conifers with their webs, but dont seem to have got many this year, as yet, they are usually the ones with a cross on their back, which i think are called Garden Cross spider ?
cant say the same about those long legged ones we seem to get everywhere in the house, despite frequent eviction of them to the great outdoors :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » June 4th, 2018, 1:59 am

After what seemed like an age, I finally dropped onto one of the Mint Moths. I think this one is Pyrousta purpuralis.

Mint Moth.jpg

And finally, just for your pleasure:-

Amarillis.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale
Supreme member
Supreme member

Post by ashgale » June 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

isn't the Amarillis the flower you usually see at christmas ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » June 5th, 2018, 12:10 am

ashgale wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 9:50 am
isn't the Amarillis the flower you usually see at christmas ?
Yes. You are correct but this is not their normal flowering time. These rather expensive bulbs are subject to months of temperature controlled storage before being sold for potting up to flower near Cristmas time. Once flowering is finished, the bulbs are discarded and I re-cycle them. When potted up, fertilised and left to their own devices, they tend to flower when they want to usually during the summer months. These pots are kept tucked away until the flower buds start to grow, then they are given space on the staging until they bloom.

I tend to lose them after a few years but there appears to be a regular supply of replacements.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

makman
star member
star member

Post by makman » June 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm

we've planted a few of the bulbs outdoors after flowering over Christmas, but none ever survived to flower :(
maybe too tender for outdoors ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Post by Moriati » June 26th, 2018, 2:11 am

I've been a bit busy lately and have not had time to post anything, but just like the non-current coins, I turn up again.

On one of my frequent checks in the Polytunnel, I've discovered this cocoon and chrysalis high up close to the top of some Jerusalem Artichokes. Question no.1: Does anyone know what will emerge? I had been aware of the caterpillars presence for some time, but my searches were always fruitless making me think that it is totally nocturnal and only climbing up the stalks to eat well after nightfall.

Chrysalis JA.jpg

The pupa was discovered on 20- June, and was probably created the night before. I will need to sleeve it somehow to contain the emerged imigo once I find a suitable net bag.
Question No. 2: Who would like to guess when emergance will happen?

Another tunnel resident is a Solitary bee referred to as a leaf-cutter bee. Whilst I have seen it resting on a few flowers, the camera was not to hand and so eluded capture. However, It has left its mark on my blueberry bushes as it cut out pieces of wallpaper to line its tunnel. Talk about a luxury lifestile - Find a convenient pot, make a tunnel, fly 2-3 metres to the carpet store for linings, then visit the grocery store in an adjacent flowerpot nearby for nectar and pollen.

Leafcutter Bee Damage.jpg

Without the camera, the closest I can get to an ID is one of the Megachile bees, probably M. versicolor.

And finally for tonight, Hoverfly No. 6.

Helophilus pendulus.jpg

The closest I could get to an ID was Helophilus pendulus but now I have some doubt. The photo is not good enough to study the wing veination which can be significant when making an ID of hoverflies.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bizzy
star member
star member

Post by bizzy » June 26th, 2018, 11:09 am

my guess is that the cocoon belongs to a moth of some kind, but no idea which one.
another wild guess is that it will emerge on Thursday :D :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links