how to cut down on plastic use

chat about anything and everything here
jowhitwell

how to cut down on plastic use

Post by jowhitwell » December 3rd, 2018, 5:17 pm

i found this article which if is wasn't so ridiculous, would have made me smile :roll:

its a book on how to cut down the use of plastic, but there is a twist in the tale, read the article to see it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joboyd

Re: how to cut down on plastic use

Post by joboyd » December 4th, 2018, 1:11 pm

all i can say is that it just highlights the fact that the majority of people on this planet just dont care ! :cry:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wood Wanderer

Post by Wood Wanderer » December 4th, 2018, 4:40 pm

A classic example of where we all know what needs doing but those in charge appear to be either wilfully ignorant or just plain dim.

I just wish we (i.e the silent or in this case not so silent majority) were listened to, not much hope of that though, "they" are all too busy making money to care about much else it seems.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » December 4th, 2018, 4:46 pm

we have made an effort to cut down on our use of plastics, but with the majority of the plastic wrapping from supermarkets not being recyclable, we are still putting an unacceptable amount in the bin which goes to the landfill,

if the mp's got off their a*&%s and made manufactures package all their stuff in recyclable materials and ensured there were recycling plants in most areas, it would help,

we are still going to get a large percentage of folk who couldn't care less about recycling or the ecosystem, but it might at least reduce the amount of plastic thrown away.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

forager

Post by forager » December 5th, 2018, 11:21 am

ashgale wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 4:46 pm
we have made an effort to cut down on our use of plastics, but with the majority of the plastic wrapping from supermarkets not being recyclable, we are still putting an unacceptable amount in the bin which goes to the landfill,

if the mp's got off their a*&%s and made manufactures package all their stuff in recyclable materials and ensured there were recycling plants in most areas, it would help,

we are still going to get a large percentage of folk who couldn't care less about recycling or the ecosystem, but it might at least reduce the amount of plastic thrown away.
i suppose a reduction in waste is the best we can hope for in the end, you only have to look at the amount of litter along any stretch of roadside verge to see that its not making it recyclable, but getting the morons to recycle it in the first place :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

makman

Post by makman » December 5th, 2018, 12:39 pm

having his book shrink wrapped was a bit ironic i feel :roll:
i fear we will have a very long wait, if ever, for recycling to reach 100% (or even 50%) and as others point out, there will still be a large proportion of the population who will still throw stuff about with a care as to what its effects might be :shock:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joboyd

Post by joboyd » December 5th, 2018, 3:55 pm

we seem to be severely lacking in our national pride these days, i think its a great shame they dont teach social living skills and natural history subjects in schools these days :)
and the amount of fly tipping i come across while out on my walks is disgusting really, while much of the dumped rubbish could have been disposed of in the wheelie bin, which i'm sure most if not all households have at least one of these days ?
despite our local council issuing printed guides on what you can and cannot dispose in the different wheelie bins, some of my neighbours regularly get their full bins left unemptied, with a red sticker attached, due to the wrong use of the bin,
which all seems a bit of a farce really, as i was reliably informed by someone in the know, that once the bin lorries have collected the required quota of recyclable material, all the rest goes to the landfill site !

the powers that be are just playing with the situation in my view, and making no real effort to get to grips with this escalating problem of our waste.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links