feeding the birds

discussions on all things bird related
forager

feeding the birds

Post by forager » February 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

just been reading the "bird of the day" thread and seeing all the posts about the fatballs made me wonder what other folks put out for the birds, besides the usual seed in the feeders,
our blackbirds favourite are suet dumplings :) the ones you can buy as a packet mix, i make up the mix and bake them in the oven,
and put them out for the birds, the only problem is, once out they are gone in a flash :)
having a suet content i think it gives the birds something of what they need to get by in the cold weather,

other favourites are apples that have been halved, these are soon reduced to an empty skin,
i tried the same with oranges, but they never seemed to bother with them for some reason,
a dried fruit mix like raisins, currants etc also goes down well with the blackbirds and wood pigeons, although if you have a dog then its probably wise to ensure that these are not within reacjh of the dog, as they can prove fatal when eaten by dogs !

another one is to use the fat left over from a roast etc and soaking bread (cut into small cubes)in it, even the wood pigeons love this one :) i know that bread is not considered good for birds, but its a way of getting some fat for them, and we dont do it too often.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

treehugger

Re: feeding the birds

Post by treehugger » February 15th, 2018, 11:03 am

Are "fat balls" any good for long tailed tits? We keep getting them flitting about but they dont seem much interested in peanuts or apple cores.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » February 15th, 2018, 1:46 pm

dumplings ! one of my favourites too,never mind the birds :)
but those dumpling mixes are quite easy to make, so i shall see if our blackbirds take to them :)

the warning about raisins and dogs is a very
serious matter, as someone i know had a dog who ate a full packet of them, and was at deaths door at the vets for a fortnight, and then spent a few weeks at home before getting back to normal life again, not to mention the astronomical vets bill :o
strange that, as dogs will eat almost anything without coming to any harm, but apparently there is a list as long as your arm of things that can mean death for a dog if eaten ! two of them being chocolate and onions.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » February 15th, 2018, 1:50 pm

treehugger wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:03 am
Are "fat balls" any good for long tailed tits? We keep getting them flitting about but they dont seem much interested in peanuts or apple cores.
the ones we get in the garden never bother with the feeders or the fat balls, they seem quite happy pecking about in the tree branches for overwintering insects,
but on a recent "Hughs wild west" tv episode, he had long tail tits on his feeder, although i cant remember if it was fatball one or one of those fat filled coconut halves you can get ?
either way its worth a try to tempt them into the garden :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mary

Post by mary » February 16th, 2018, 10:47 am

we dont get many birds visiting the garden at all, and apart from the seed feeders, which remain very little used, we put spare cake and pastry out, which the sparrows and blackbirds seem to like, plus the odd apple now and then,
i once put a ripe banana out but it did not go down well at all :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sted

Post by sted » February 18th, 2018, 10:22 am

we had a couple of Long Tailed Tits in the garden this morning, and one of them actually landed on the fat ball cage, it had one peck of the fatball and decided it didn't like it and promptly flew off :(
its the first time i have noticed one on the fatballs, so they probably prefer their natural diet to fatballs,
they probably may use them if the weather turns bad and there is not much in the way of natural food for them i suppose ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vulpes

Post by Vulpes » February 19th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Long Tailed tits love fatballs . I've made some from Lard and Oats; they're very popular, ( only in the winter - the lard melts easily in the summer )!
We feed loads of currants to the Blackbirds. Ashgale makes an important point about dogs; currants are poison to dogs, we have to monitor them closely as we have 2 Spaniels.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » February 20th, 2018, 11:33 am

i might just try making some of those lard based fatballs :)
the shop bought ones contain all sorts of things to bulk them out, like sand etc (or so i have read) which cant be beneficial to the birds i would have thought,
any tips on the actual making of your fatballs would be helpful :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vulpes

Post by Vulpes » February 20th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I used butter tubs, yoghurt pots and plastic baked bean containers for my molds. Just balance a knotted string in the centre whilst the lard hardens.
Remember - not in the summer! else on a hot day the lard will melt all over your backyard!

Have a look here ..
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... d-feeders/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mal71

Post by mal71 » February 20th, 2018, 3:00 pm

a great idea ! and it seems simple enough, even i should be able to manage to make a few of those :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links