End of a (personal) era

for any topic concerning fungi in general
Wood Wanderer

End of a (personal) era

Post by Wood Wanderer » November 27th, 2018, 6:53 pm

After 6 years of faithful service and over 60,000 shots my camera decided that was enough yesterday, a visit to my local camera shop confirmed my suspicions that failing a substantial outlay with no guarantees it was time .....

So I attach the final shots taken yesterday morning until I can find an alternative ( and affordable) alternative ...
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moriati

Re: End of a (personal) era

Post by Moriati » November 27th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Please accept my condolences for your loss. I appreciate just how much a camera can be part of your life. Are the lens transferrable to a newer model?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wood Wanderer

Post by Wood Wanderer » November 28th, 2018, 11:38 am

Yes all my lenses can carry on being used, have now invested in a new (well second hand) Nikon, not sure it is as good as the old faithful even though it is a much newer model.
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

forager

Post by forager » November 30th, 2018, 10:14 am

my trusty old bridge camera has seen better days too, its been dropped a few times, soaked, on more than one wet outing !
but almost always performed as it should, i say almost, as it has developed a few quirks that may indicate its on its way out,
like sometimes refusing to take a photo until i switch it off and back on again a couple of times, plus it does not seem to focus right on other occasions, and sometimes the colours will come out all wrong,
i have been looking at a replacement for it, but its not easy to pick the right one i find, the main criteria it must have for me is a fold out and swiveling screen,
i had thought of upgrading to one of the Canon or Nikon dls types, but when I've looked at other folks models, i find them much bigger and heavier, (and not to say a bit too technical for me, as i'm a "set it on auto and click" type of user) and i much prefer the smaller lighter feel of the bridge cameras, i know i would probably get better images, but the ones from my old bridge camera don't come out to bad (usually)

so if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement model :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » December 2nd, 2018, 8:57 pm

i'm in much the same position with my somewhat battered Canon sx30is bridge camera, it too has been dropped several times, and on one occasion, dragged along a rocky path behind a dog who somehow got its head through the loop in the camera strap as it raced past me, snatching the camera from my hand and the camera bouncing about behind it!
its now showing strong signs of it ultimate demise, as it will not focus properly at times, and also will switch itself off halfway through taking a photo :( i keep thinking about a replacement, but like Forager, i'm not sure which one to go for,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wood Wanderer

Post by Wood Wanderer » December 3rd, 2018, 2:13 pm

I agree Ashgale changing cameras is always a dilemma at least I had little choice if I wanted to carry on using my favourite macro lens ....

Wont stop raining today so stuck at home, took this earlier as part of getting used to my new camera

These are Calyptella capula growing at the base of a stinging nettle
DSC_0445.JPG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tapinela

Post by tapinela » December 3rd, 2018, 3:44 pm

excellent images, as usual :)
my camera is just a small pocket sized one, which gives me adequate results, but nothing special, as i too like things light and easily carried, not like some of the keener wildlife photographers i meet, who seem to carry more equipment about than the stock of a camera shop :roll:
although i would have to be the first to admit they do get excellent results :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tapinela

Post by tapinela » December 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm

hers my guesses on the fungi in the first post,
1. Phlebia tremellosa ?
2. ascocoryne
3. not a clue :oops:
4. a mycena ?

and the second lot
1. a galerina ?
2. no idea
3. no idea

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wood Wanderer

Post by Wood Wanderer » December 3rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

My IDs as follows tapinela

1 Phlebia tremellosa
2 Purple Jellydisc - Ascocoryne cylichnium
3 Black Bulgar
4 Mycena crocata ....possibly

1. Galerina laevis is my best guess
2. ??
3. Turf Mottlegill

I often wonder about a lighter camera outfit but they just can't match my macro lens ..so I put up with lugging it around

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ashgale

Post by ashgale » December 4th, 2018, 4:35 pm

my old Canon sx30is bridge camera gives fair quality close up shots for larger stuff, but not quite so good for the minute stuff though :? long distance shots are not too bad either, especially if using a tripod or some other support for it.
these images of a mycena in the garden were taken with it, the lens being about a couple of inches from the fungus, set on auto focus, hand held, with no tripod or anything to stabalise the camera.
as you can see they are not to bad an image, but nothing like the results that can be had from a decent dslr in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing :)
i think its a case of you get what you pay for :D
Mycena 3.JPG
Mycena 2.JPG
Mycena 1.JPG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links